We're looking for a new BC-based Communications and PR Coordinator for the year ahead! The ideal candidate has a range of communication skills including social media development and deployment, design and copy-editing for marketing materials and is self-motivated, creative, keen and has their own work space. It's a small contract; 6-10 hours a month, heavier October - March and perfect for someone wanting to grow alongside a rapidly developing cooperative of BC farmers with a lot of passion. If this is you, read on!
The BC Eco Seed Co-op, incorporated in 2014, is a producers' co-operative committed to growing and providing vegetable, herb, grain, flower, and cover crop seed that is ecologically grown, open-pollinated, regionally selected and GE-free. The mission of the BC Eco Seed Co-op is to increase the quantity and improve the quality of seed grown in BC and sees the cooperative model as a tool to address needs in the sector such as shared seed infrastructure and resources, adequate supply of organic seed, networking opportunities and education and support around seed production.
The Communications & PR Coordinator is a part-time contract that sees the successful applicant develop and lead PR and communications ensuring the BC Eco Seed Co-op (its mission and products) is consistently presented in strong, positive image to the public, potential and existing customers and the media. The contractor must be based in BC and have experience in marketing, communications, public relations, layout/design and have strong communication skills, a creative mind and aptitude for collaboration. The contractor will implement the project with input and guidance from the Co-op's Coordinator and Board of Directors.
The contract will run from late February 2020 to May 2021, with the possibility of an extension into the following year. The workload is ~ 5-10 hours a month, 10-15, October - March.
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a marketing and communication plan to articulate role and identity of the co-op
- Create and deliver quarterly BC Eco Seed Co-op e-newsletter.
- Manage BC Eco Seed Co-op’s social media assets: create/post regular content (including photos and video) for various platforms including Facebook and Instagram and the co-op’s blog.
- Create and maintain marketing and promotional materials, both print and electronic.
- Seek and organize marketing opportunities (ads, event table, etc.) and liaise with media as needed.
- Support board function and attend meetings to report relevant information.
- Work directly with the Coordinator and Board of Directors to identify and execute project needs and specifications.
- Ensure project is within budget.
- Degree or equivalent work experience in marketing, communications, public relations, and using digital media for marketing and communication purposes.
- Experience with MS Office, Adobe Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, video editing) and Mailchimp.
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrable writing, copy editing, proofreading and layout/design skills.
- High degree of problem-solving abilities, creativity, attention to detail.
- Ability to be flexible, self-motivated multi-task, set priorities, meet deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of the seed and/organic sector.
- Experience working within a cooperative/non-profit setting.
- Based in BC and has ability to work out of home office.
- The hourly rate is $18-20/hour based on experience.
Deadline for submissions:
Please send an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your resume and cover letter by February 3 11:59 pm PST. Use subject line "BCESC Communication & PR Coordinator Application" and include why you’re interested in working with the co-op and what makes you a great candidate for the job.
Please be advised that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews, but we would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest.