Job Posting - BC Eco Seed Co-op Seed Hub Coordinator
The BC Eco Seed Co-op is a producers' co-operative growing and providing 100% BC-grown vegetable, herb, flower, and grain seed. All our seed is ecologically grown or certified organic, open-pollinated, regionally selected, and GE-free. Seeds are grown on Co-op member farms across the province.
Our mission is to increase the quantity and improve the quality of ecological and organic seed grown in BC. From packets to bulk quantities, the co-op has seeds for all growers.
The BC Eco Seed Co-op is a small-scale operation with ambitions to grow and supply more BC gardeners and farmers with high-quality BC-grown seed - and we have a new job position open!
Seed Hub Coordinator
$18.50/hour to start with possibilities for increases within the first year.
Seasonal part-time to full-time
The BC Eco Seed Co-op is looking for a great person to join our team and take the lead on our seed packing, order management, and quality assurance program. This is a new position, combining several part-time positions into one. Hours are flexible and vary throughout the year as described below. Possibility for this position to grow and expand in the coming years. The position is based in Aldergrove and does not have a work-from-home option.
This position has 4 basic aspects, each with their own responsibilities:
- Preparing and shipping orders from our online website to customers and retail partners across BC
- Managing seed order fulfillment – product fulfillment, packaging, and shipping
- Providing customer service online as needed in conjunction with Co-op Coordinator
- Lead and manage any packet filling/support team to meet inventory/fulfillment goals
- Communicating and troubleshooting system challenges for increased efficiency
- Managing our seed stock and inventory
- Monitoring our seed storage environment as required through the seasons
- Working with Co-op Coordinator to update our online store as required to ensure stock is always available
- Communicating with our members to replenish seed stock as needed
- Receiving, documenting, and testing seeds from members as they arrive at our seed hub
- Maintaining seed records, lot numbers, and correct weights/counts for seed analysis
- Performing germination test counts and accurately record seedling evaluations
- Adhering to BCESC germination testing guidelines and definitions including the the safe and sanitary handling of seeds
- Engaging in social media promotions for the Co-op
- Regular postings, with images, of seed hub activities to keep our online followers up to date on Co-op activities - seed packing and testing activities make for great social media posts!
- Responding to customer inquiries and comments through social media channels
Other tasks and responsibilities may also be included with this position.
Approximate Seasonal Work Schedule
This unique position offers a lot of flexibility in work schedule which will fluctuate throughout the year, but also has some high-demand periods where availability is crucial. Estimated hours are as follows:
Jan to March - 20 to 35 hours per week
- This is our busiest time of year as we pack and send out a majority of our seeds
- Work times are flexible, but there is much time-sensitive work to be done
April to June - 10 to 25 hours per week
- Seed orders typically slow down in this period
- We stay engaged with customers through social media
- Work days are flexible as long as orders are sent out on time
- We start some quality assurance testing of existing stock at this time
July to September - 8 to 15 hours per week
- We continue our quality assurance testing during this slower time of year
- We stay engaged with customers through social media
- Review and refine systems to prepare for following season
October to December - 10 to 20 hours per week
- This is the time of year when we start receiving seeds from members
- Conducting germination tests on in-stock seed
- Checking stock to prepare for following season
Work times and days can be flexible as long as orders are shipped in a timely manner, offering flexibility for the right candidate. Staff enjoy a 40% discount on BC Eco Seed Co-op seeds!
General Skills and Considerations
- Ability to work comfortably in a small space with others, and on your own while maintaining an organized, clean workspace
- Your primary workplace would be a 20-ft shipping container office - comfortable, but small!
- Ability to stay focused and multitask in a busy, fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage time efficiently to meet deadlines and address priorities effectively
- Strong communication skills and commitment to addressing and transforming conflicts as they arise
- Ability to receive feedback with an open mindset
- Creative and innovative problem solving
- Passion for seeds, food, and agriculture as a vehicle to foster connections and create social change
- Vehicle would be beneficial for postal drops; work kilometres will be reimbursed
- Familiar with several software and online tools
- Microsoft Word and Google Docs
- Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets
- Social Media - Instagram and Facebook
Workplace Safety and COVID-19
The BC Eco Seed Co-op Seed Hub is a small but well-organized space which will sometimes require close contact with other Co-op staff. We currently look to provincial health guidelines and recommendations to ensure a safe work space. A mask is required at all times when working with others in the Co-op Seed Hub. The Co-op endeavours to ensure a safe working environment for all its staff. We do not allow public visits to the Seed Hub. The BC Eco Seed Co-op operates on a working cooperative farm and adherence to on-farm policies is required.
Please email resume, in pdf format, to email@example.com. No cover letter is required but please introduce yourself in your email.