Are you hungry for more BC-grown, organic and ecological seeds?
Across BC people are more concerned now, than ever, about their food security as COVID-19 continues. This unrest has resulted in more Canadians taking control of their food supply the best way they can think of: growing their own food and buying from local farmers.
The BC Eco Seed Co-op was born from a need to get more good local seed into the hands of local farmers and gardeners of all sizes and saw a co-op as a great way to build a local business based on collaboration, aligned values and a desire to build a more resilient local food system from the seed up.
Since 2014 we've been operating out of a cozy shared office space endearingly (and unofficially) dubbed "The Pack Shack". With the increasing demand for BC-grown seed, the need is urgent to expand a COVID-cautious commercial space allowing for increased capacity to meet the needs of farmers and growers of all scales around the province. We've secured the trailer that will be our seed home and will allow us to continue to fulfill your seed needs more efficiently. But this is just the start and now we need your help.
Help us raise $15,000 to make these operational dreams a reality!
We've launched a crowdfunding campaign until October 28th with all funds raised going to support the logistics of turning a shipping container into a seed hub and expanding our reach. Footings, electrical upgrades, germination testing system upgrades, quality assurance supplies, shelving and workspace provisions are the unglamorous bits desperately needed.
What does this mean for you?
- Expanded seed listings as new members are supported to join the co-op and share their seed crops.
- More seed accessibility as we partner with additional local stockists across the province.
- Increased resilience in local seed systems as local farmers prioritize flavour, quality and regional adaptation.
We are grateful for every dollar contributed to this campaign and to show our appreciation, we're providing a selection of rewards including gift cards, farm tours, virtual workshops and consultations, check it out!
Supporting the BC Eco Seed Co-op means you can feel good about seeding change in our food system while supporting a local small business of 18 farmers. Thank you for helping us grow more resilient local food systems in British Columbia!
Looking for another way to offer support? The following actions can make a HUGE difference:
- Forward this blog post to a friend or neighbour you think may be interested
- Share our campaign page through your socials or Wayblaze directly
- Download and post our main campaign graphic (sized for Facebook here, sized for Instagram here) and tag with #morebcecoseedplease
- Talk to friends, family, garden groups and your networks about the importance of local seed
- Get in touch if you know a funder or allied organization we should know about or a stockist we should work with, let us know by sending us an email.